The National Intellectual Property Strategy (NIPS) is an agenda to harness Intellectual Property (IP) for innovation, creativity, and knowledge generation; for entrepreneurship and competitiveness; and to achieve public policy goals such as universal access to health care, agricultural self-sufficiency, and inclusive growth.
It aims to support the goals and targets of the Philippine Development Plan (PDP) 2017-2022—particularly in the areas of science, technology and innovation, industry, education and culture—as well as the 0 + 10 Ten-Point Socio-Economic Agenda of the Philippine government.
“An effective Intellectual Property System widely recognized and strategically utilized to benefit and uplift the lives of Filipinos”
“A collaborative and a whole-of-society approach using effective and efficient advanced tools, and best practices for the creation, utilization, protection, and respect of Intellectual Property.”
The formation of the NIPS was a historic development in the Philippine innovation and creativity systems. IPOPHL, as the lead agency on IPR protection, focused on the overall inclusive vision for the intellectual property (IP) system for 2020 to 2025, which is to achieve “an effective Intellectual Property System widely appreciated and strategically utilized to benefit and uplift the lives of Filipinos."
Specifically, the main objectives are to:
- Ensure a robust, predictable, and efficient IP system and enforceable IP rights (IPRs);
- Improve knowledge production, innovation performance by Innovation and Technology Support Office (ITSO)
partners, universities, colleges, and research development institutions (RDIs), and its productive links with industries;
- Develop a culture of innovation, creativity, and respect for IP through mainstreaming IP in the educational system and key sector;
- Enhance the productivity of selected priority industries where IP plays a major role;
- Consider improvements in certain areas of IPOPHL operation, and other government agencies to support
challenges in the 4IR; and
- Promote the effective use of the IP system as a tool for economic, cultural, and scientific development.
In achieving the objectives, the NIPS laid down the S.P.E.E.D. strategies, charting the roles of IPOPHL and other relevant government agencies, educational institutions and the private sector in making the IP system a major contributor to the inclusive growth program of the current Administration.
Support Sectoral Advancement Through the Use of the IP System
- Enhance the legal and the developmental aspects of the healthcare and pharmaceurtical industry
- Encourage productivity and technological systems of agricultural, animal husbandry, creativity, and innovativeness
- Increase use of IP system by MSMEs as a tool for productivity, creativity, and innovativeness
- Institutionalize the different industries'use of patent documents and capture the protection of 4IR technologies in selected sectors
Promote Innovation and Utilization/Commercialization of IP Assets
- Improve the R&D innovation performance
- Enhance the funding rationalization and operations related to Government funded Agencies (GFA)
- Attract smart and high technology investors to set-up business in the Philippines
Elevate the Creative and Cultural Industries
- Develop and nurture the growth and development of creative and cultural industries
- Strengthen the protection of traditional knowledge, traditional cultural expressions, and genetic resources
- Enable access to information and knowledge on copyright and other related rights
Enhance the Legal System, Institutions and Structures Related to IP
- Amend the current IP laws, regulations, and issuances on IP
- Strengthen the organizational structures to suppor the IP system
- Conduct inter-agency initiatives on IP and IP-related matters
- Enhance the enforcement of IP systems and procedures
- Capture international cooperations related to IP and increase roles on international IP systems
Demystify, Mainstream and Professionalize Intellectual Property
- Develop a culture of innovation and creativity, and respect for IP through the IP Academy
- Integrate the IP knowledge to the educational system
- Increase new knowledge on IP through academic, scientific, and advanced research and studies
CALL TO ACTION
Achieving the vision of an effective IP System that is widely recognized and strategically utilized to benefit and uplift the lives of Filipinos requires the effective and efficient execution of the NIPS, which, in turn, is enabled by a large pool of IP advocates committed to and united in protecting the IP environment and interests of the nation.
To this end, active participation from the highest level of all branches of government, including government agencies, academe, industry sectors, creators, and innovators, is of utmost importance to the realization of the NIPS ambition.
(02) 7238-6300 local 1007