ASEAN PATENT COOPERATION (ASPEC)
The ASEAN Patent Examination Co-operation (ASPEC) is the first regional patent work-sharing programme among nine participating ASEAN Member States (AMS) IP Offices of Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Viet Nam.
Through this programme, applicants will be able to take advantage of expedited processes at participating AMS IP Offices from the time of filing an ASPEC Request until grant of patent.
- Obtain patents faster and more efficiently if they're seeking protection in more than one participating ASEAN Member State.
- Reduce duplication on the search and examination work in the second ASEAN IP Office of application.
- Search and examination work done on a corresponding (first) application serves as a useful reference in producing quality reports.
- Operates in the English language and is free of charge.
An ASPEC Request for a patent application in IPOPHL may be filed for applications with the following eligibilities:
- A corresponding application exists in any other participating AMS IP Offices, and that the IPOPHL application and corresponding application are linked by a Paris Convention priority claim, and
- A patent is already granted or search and examination results, stating that at least one claim is allowable/patentable, is/are already issued by any one of the participating AMS IP Offices
An ASPEC Request can be filed in IPOPHL by submitting the following minimum requirements:
For more information please call (02) 238-6300 local 3101, 3201