MANDATE & FUNCTION
IPOPHL is the government agency mandated to administer and implement State policies on intellectual property (IP) to strengthen the protection of IP rights in the country.
Coined as the "DREAM" mandate, IPOPHL performs the following functions to protect and secure the exclusive rights of scientists, inventors, artists and other gifted citizens to their intellectual property and creations.
Promote the use of patent information as a tool for technological development
- Examine applications and grant patents, or register utility models, industrial designs,
trademarks, geographical indication, and integrated circuits;
- Help protect copyright by assisting in the facilitation of deposit of work with the National
- Register technology transfer arrangements
- Undertake enforcement functions supported by concerned agencies such a the PNP, NBI, Customs, OMB, LGUs, etc.
- Conduct visits during reasonable hours to establishments and businesses engaging in activities violating IPRs and provisions of the IP Code based on report, information or complaint received by the Office.
- Hear and decide cases relating to:
- violations of IP Rights
- Cancellations and oppositions to registration
- Compulsory licensing
- Settle disputes involving technology transfer payments
- Coordinate with relevant government agencies and the private sector efforts to formulate and implement plans and policies to strengthen the protection of intellectual property rights in the country.
- Develop and implement strategies to promote and facilitate technology transfer